PuMP Performance Measurement
Use our practical approach to design and lead with more meaningful measures
With great measures, people focus on the results that matter most. Unfortunately, most organizations don’t have great measures.
You’ve likely heard the saying “what gets measured gets done.” That’s why best-selling strategy books such as Playing to Win and Balanced Scorecard tell leaders they need performance measures (also called KPIs, OKRs and metrics) in order to prove they are achieving their strategy.
But these strategy books never tell you how to design meaningful KPIs, leaving leaders and teams to struggle.
KPI Struggles commonly sound like this:
- Our goals are too hard to measure
- We can’t find measures that tell us what we really need to know
- Employees don’t use the measures and targets we have
- We spend more time arguing about the data than using it to make decisions
- Teams can’t align their work to strategy or see their part in it
Overcome your KPI struggles forever with the PuMP Blueprint
PuMP® is a deliberate and practical step-by-step performance measurement (KPI) approach that your organization can master. We build your people’s KPI capabilities so they can transform how they use measures to continuously improve performance.
PuMP’s techniques build your team’s capabilities
By practicing PuMP®’s techniques, leaders and teams improve how they:
What is the PuMP Blueprint?
The PuMP® Blueprint is an 8-step framework to help redesign your performance measurement process and make your strategy more measureable. Each of the eight steps in PuMP® deals head-on with the struggles we have in measuring performance. These steps replace the bad habits that cause the struggles with much easier, faster and more engaging new techniques.
Learn more about the PuMP KPI approach.
Understanding measurement’s purpose
Fixing the focus on continuous improvement as the purpose for measurement.
Mapping the measureable results
Translating our strategy into clear, focused and measurable performance results.
Designing meaningful measures
Choosing strong and feasible measures that provide evidence for our performance results.
Building buy-in to measures
Getting ownership from our stakeholders quickly, easily and engagingly.
Documenting in detail the data, analysis and reporting requirements for each of our measures.
Interpreting signals from measures
Focusing on the gaps between as-is and should-be measures.
Reporting performance measures
Creating useful and usable performance reports that inspire us to action.
Reaching performance targets
Improving business processes to move as-is performance toward to-be.
Learn and master the 8-Steps of PuMP with our KPI Training program
Some of the industries Adura Strategy has worked in:
- Private Business: Banking, Insurance, Manufacturing
- Private Business: Technology, Ecommerce, Digital Marketing
- Tourism Marketing Organizations
- Regulators: Health, Medical, Energy
- Public Safety, Police, National Defense
- Lottery Corporations
- Provincial governments: BC, SK, NB
- Municipal and City Governments
- US Federal Departments
- Port of Seattle
- Government Agencies CMHC, CFIA, PHAC
- Canadian Federal Government examples:
- Public Service and Procurement Canada
- Benefits Delivery Services Branch
- Natural Resources Canada
- National Research Council
- Department of Fisheries and Oceans
- Health Canada