PuMP® Performance Measurement Blueprint
The Why of Performance Measurement
Measures do not exist in a vacuum. They work in tandem with your business strategy:
- To make razor-sharp what is most important to achieve in your strategy (for the bottom line and the customer)
- To help teams move away from judging each other’s performance and move towards improving the organization’s performance
- To provide teams with the information and feedback they need to assess if the actions they are resourcing are having an impact or not. And if not, then what?
Why do organizations typically struggle with performance measurement?
Organizations everywhere struggle to find meaningful performance measurement that links to their business strategy and provides the business intelligence they really need to adapt and change over the lifetime of their strategic plan.
All around the world executives, managers, as well as strategy and performance professionals find measuring business performance an ongoing struggle. They struggle to:
- Easily find meaningful, results-oriented measures
- Get true buy-in to performance measurement
- Strongly align measures to strategy
- Measure those seemingly-immeasurable intangible goals
- Report measures to make the right actions obvious
- Use measures to drive improvement and reach targets
We struggle because we have bad habits. Habits we likely aren’t even aware of.
The struggles we have with performance measurement are always associated with a common set of practices. These practices have become bad habits. But when they are replaced with the techniques and templates of the PuMP® Blueprint, the struggles ease.